Skip to main content

It's Curtains For Ya

So I have this Love-Hate relationship with curtains.  I love how they can make a room look put together and homey, but I hate putting up the curtain rods.  There is just so much tedious measuring and what-not....but I finally found the PERFECT curtains to go into our dining room that made all that work worth it.

Even though we have a pretty decent sized window in the dining room, we don't get a lot of natural light in the room because of the angle of our house, the fact that we only have one window, and our neighbor has a pretty big tree to the side.  So I didn't want real dark curtains or ones that would block the little light that we have.  Here's the dining room window before:


I've been on the lookout for curtains since we painted the dining room in November.  I love my blue-gray color and wasn't sure what would look good.  I didn't buy anything until I knew exactly what I wanted.  I knew that I wanted a double rod so I could have white curtains closest to the windows.  I like the layered look.  So here are my purchases:


The curtains rods are from Target and I've also used them in our basement.  They are a pretty dark brown/bronze color and are simple, yet fancy enough to bring style into the room.

Both curtains are from IKEA.  The blue and white are called EMMIE KVIST and the white ones are MATILDA.  Both were reasonably priced - $70 total for all four panels.  

Hanging up the rods was definetly a two-man person.  I recruited Kerry to help out.  Just like when I hung up the towel rods in our bathroom, we just followed the directions on how to hang up the curtain rod.  

I started from the center of the window and marked where I wanted the first rod holder to go.  I just held the holder up and used a pencil to trace where the screws will go.

After I traced the holes, I got a drill to put a hole for the plastic screw anchors.  To help minimize dry wall dust, I layered two pieces of painters tape, folded it, and placed it on the wall under the pencil holes:


When I drilled, the tape caught most of the dust into a little pile.  Kerry wanted more coverage, so I ended up using three pieces of tape to make it a little bit wider.  It really helped to keep the area clean.

We continued drilling, putting the screw anchors in, measuring, and putting the curtain rods on the wall.  In all honesty, it really didn't take that long.  It was just tedious with the measuring to make sure everything was even (I'm a stickler for that !).  Since I've hung curtain rods a little crooked before (oops !), we really wanted to make sure this one was level and straight.

Once it was finished, Kerry helped me put the curtains on the rods and then place to rods in the holders.  It looks perfect !  The blue and gray flowers in the curtains match the paint color.  I was worried that the curtains would be too much blue and pattern in the room and not enough accent to the room, but when they went up, I fell in love.


Right now the curtains are "pooling" on the floor. I like them like this for now. I'll probably leave them "pooling," but if I ever get tired of them on the floor, I can easily hem them up.




I love the way that the curtains look in the dining room. I'm just tickled with them.  The dining room is just about finished.  I think the only thing left that I want to do is to change out the bronzy chandelier shades to seeded glass shades.  I think that will help to brighten up the room at night.

What kinds of curtains made your room complete? 

Now you can Do It Yourself Too!

~Stephanie

Comments

  1. Nice job on the curtains. I really like the bow front glass cabinet! A bit jealous I am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The curio was my uncle's grandmother's curio - Kerry and I really like it !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !